Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Why is it dark so early?


It hit me when I stepped out of the bright and happy (incredibly well lit :-) OttLite office last night -- darkness. It was only 6 pm! Oh, that's right, Daylight Saving Time ended. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the extra hour of sleep, but I miss the sunlight on my way home.

Like many people wondering why we set our clocks back every fall, I consulted about.com. Here are some fun Daylight Saving Time facts:
  • Daylight Saving Time was instituted in the United States during World War I to save energy for war production by taking advantage of the later hours of daylight from April to October
  • Starting in 2007 Daylight Saving Time is four weeks longer with the hope that it would save 10,000 barrels of oil each day through reduced use of power by businesses during daylight hours
  • Not everywhere in the US observes Daylight Savings Time
  • It's Daylight Saving Time, not Daylight Savings Time (with an s)
  • The European Union observes "European Summer Time", similar to our Daylight Saving Time
The first thing I did when I got home was turn on my OttLite lamp to spread a little sunshine in the room. OttLite is a great way to go from dark and dreary to bright and happy! Click here for some great deals on OttLite lighting!

No comments: