Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Confessions of an Animator

By Guest Blogger: Kelley Barry

Animation is one of my passions. It has been ever since seeing the movie The Nightmare Before Christmas when I was a kid. At the time I didn’t know how the process worked, but eagerly wanted to learn! Throughout the years leading up to the present I have learned many things regarding animation and it has intrigued me even more. I ended up studying animation in college, and ultimately finding a job out of college where I am able to continue to create and learn the art of animation.



Working at OttLite Technologies gives me a large amount of artistic freedom for which I am very thankful. In college, I became interested in the process of Stop Motion Animation, which is a style of animation created using numerous photographs placed in a sequence to show movement. It is basically like shooting a film , only with a still camera instead of a video camera. It is a very difficult and time-consuming process, however the final outcome is extremely rewarding. There are many examples of this form of animation out there for the public to see including commercials (i.e. Xbox, Sony, Nikon) and films, (i.e. Coraline, The Science of Sleep, James and the Giant Peach) and even on the OttLite website! If you are interested in learning about this intereting style of animation, check it out!

No comments: